Fresh Air ~ Farm Animals ~ Country Fun
For children 4 to 10 years old
This terrific program is designed with kids in mind, and parents are sure to love it too! This is an 11 week Summer program held every Friday. The program begins Friday, June 21, 2019 and runs through Friday, Aug 30, 2019. Participants can be dropped off as early as 7:30am and picked up as late as 5:30pm each day. Each day is sure to be packed full of fun and hands on learning and exploration. What better way for kids to spend the day than at the Ranch. No gidgets or gadgets here, just good, old fashioned country fun. We will breathe in the country air,play outside, and even get a little dirty if we’re doing things right!
Given the nature of our animal themed activities this program will be supervised by our Wranglers and Horse Camp/Lesson Staff who are 18 years old and older with a passion for kids and an ability to provide ample instruction and supervision while working with and around theanimals. Although creating a fun, new experience for our ‘Little Ranchers’ is near the top of ourlist, doing so in a safe manner remains our top priority. Please understand, kids need no horse or animal experience to participate, just an interest in learning and the ability to follow instruction.
We will entertain the kids with age appropriate activities. Activities could include:
- Basic yoga and stretches as well as activities that promote coordination and physical activity
- Nature hikes and exploration-what is nature, how to appreciate and enjoy it. Look for animals and animal tracks in the woods around us and discuss how these wild animals are similar to and different from our domestic animals and pets.
- Plant and tend to something (flower, vegetable)
- Learn how to prepare a meal-work together following a recipe, measuring ingredients, setting and clearing a table and using good table manners
- Learn basic skills such as how to hammer something, how to use a tape measure, how to sweep up after a meal
- Meet and help care for some of the farm animals up close and personal
- Horse interactions- throughout the course of the program participants will learn such things as barn safety, a horses needs and how to help feed/water and clean up after horses, how to approach and handle horses, how to groom horses, what tack is and how to clean and care for it, very basic horse anatomy (including finger painting a horse), the history of the horse-how horses are used and enjoyed today and in years past. We will even do a horse fashion show just for fun where the kids can use braids, wildflowers, ribbons or hairbows to ‘decorate’ a horse to their liking. Participants will also get the chance to meet and work with our Wrangler in Training students. These students are 13 to 16 years old and have completed all levels of horse camp that we offer. They would love the chance to showcase some of what they have learned in their many years of camp. This would all be done with Ranch staff. We are strong believers that horses impact lives in such positive ways. Kids working with horses promotes confidence, determination, focus and a strong sense of self among many other things. For this reason we will aim to provide a fair chunk of barn time throughout the season.
- Learn the basics of fishing in our stocked trout ponds
- With plenty of space to sprawl we will have more than enough room for old fashioned fun such as: tag, red rover, sack races, capture the flag, 3 legged races, stick horse relay races and wheelbarrow races
- Rainy day activites could include: classic card and board games (checkers, memory, old maid, etc), arts and crafts, pop popcorn and watch a movie, read books, etc. We have the main lodge, the covered pavillion area and our classroom inside the barn to use as areas for play and learning when the weather is not ideal for being outside
- We will play in the grass, turn stones, hunt for worms and frogs, chase butterflies, feedthe fish in the trout ponds, and the list goes on…
Participants will need the following items:
- A sack lunch and snacks. Please nothing that needs to be warmed up if possible, if weather allows we will do a picnic lunch
- A water bottle.
- Clothing for inclement weather.
- Closed toe shoes for all animal activities.
- A dry change of clothes and a beach towel, just in case. We do not use the pool during this camp, but if it is very hot out we do have the option of using sprinklers or splashing around in the river, so a bathing suit or clothes that can get wet are a good idea. Please apply sunscreen at home if desired.
Please be sure to leave cell phones, i-pods, and all handheld games or electronics at home!
We eagerly welcome your children to come experience life on the Ranch. The cost for this program is $550 per child for the 11 week program. Please call LeeAnn at 231.947.9529 ext 101 with any questions you may have or to register for a spot. Spots are filled on a first come, first serve basis.