Novice Horse Camp
Dates: June 26-29, 2017 and August 7-10, 2017
Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm daily
Ages: 8 years old and older (no prior riding experience is necessary to attend)
Location: You will drop off and pick up your son/daughter at Circle H Stables, (Ranch Rudolf’s barn) located about ½ mile east of the Ranch Rudolf main entrance.
Students meeting the minimum age of 8 years old can be enrolled in this camp with no prior riding or horse experience. This would also be the camp that both our Barn Buddies Students and College for Kids Students (8 years old +) would progress to.
This is a basic Western Riding Camp in which students will be assigned a horse to work with throughout the week. Some of the topics covered will be caring for a horse, grooming, leading and handling, saddling, basic anatomy, and basic Western riding lessons both in the front pasture and on the trails. A strong emphasis will be placed on safety, both around the barn and on the horses. Students will build a relationship with their horse throughout the week- learning basic care and the responsibility involved in having their own horse. We work hard to promote a safe and fun atmosphere that is centered around the partnership between horse and rider. By the end of camp students should have a great skill set of essentials in both riding and horse care. They will also gain confidence, responsibility and a lasting bond with their horse and instructors.
While the greatest portion of the time will be spent with the horses, there will also be a classroom setting to learn necessary fundamentals and to go over the agenda for the day.
What To Bring:
- Leather boots or shoes are best (absolutely no open toed shoes are permitted-both toes and heels need to be covered and protected)
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Pencil and paper
- Clothing for inclement weather. Layers are a great idea for cooler mornings and warmer days. As for rain gear, a form fitting rain jacket is better than a big poncho that could blow and spook horses.
*Riding helmets are required when riding, but Ranch Rudolf/Circle H Stables does provide them.
*Please do not send cell phones to camp.
How to Sign Up:
- First, call LeeAnn or Melody at 231-947-9529 to check availability for the camp and get your child’s name added to the tentative camp list.
- Then you will fill out a release waiver which can be found under ‘horse camp information.’ Please remember to read carefully and fill out completely. About ¾ way down the page are a couple of lines where you need to write out a sentence. Read instructions carefully.
- Send completed release waiver and payment (made payable to Circle H Stables) to Ranch Rudolf at 6841 Brown Bridge Road Traverse City, MI 49696.
- It is the first twelve (12) paid students that will make up the official camp list.
If you have any further questions, or to get your child added to the tentative camp list, please call LeeAnn or Melody at 231-947-9529.